Hartwell, Eaton, Franklin advance to match play at U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur
by Gary Baines
Three players with significant Colorado connections extended their stays at the U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur on Sunday by advancing to match play at Waverley Country Club in Portland, Ore.
Susan Hartwell of Arvada, Colorado Golf Hall of Famer Kim Eaton and Kristine Franklin of Broomfield made the grade by finishing among the top 64 in the stroke-play portion of the event, which concluded on Sunday. Match play will begin on Monday.
Hartwell placed 17th out of 132 players, while Eaton was 25th and Franklin 31st.
Hartwell, the co-medalist in Colorado-based qualifying for this event, shot a 5-over-par 77 on Sunday that left her at 11-over 155 overall. Hartwell parred her first nine holes before playing her next five in 5 over, then parring her last four.
Eaton, a quarterfinalist in this championship four times, also posted a 77 on Sunday, checking in at 156. She finished with one birdie, four bogeys and a double bogey in round 2.
Franklin, the 1986 CWGA Stroke Play champion when she was known as Kris Hoos, built a big enough cushion on Saturday to make it to match play despite shooting eight strokes higher on Sunday. She went 75-83 for a 158 total.
In very difficult scoring conditions, the best stroke-play total was 2-over-par 146, shot by co-medalists Lara Tennant of Portland and Helene Chartrand of Canada.
Here are the scores for the players with strong Colorado ties:
ADVANCE TO MATCH PLAY
17. Susan Hartwell of Arvada 78-77–155
25. Colorado Golf Hall of Famer Kim Eaton 79-77–156
31. Kristine Franklin of Broomfield 75-83–158
FAILED TO MAKE MATCH PLAY
66. Part-time Gunnison-area resident Marilyn Hardy 78-86–164
100. Kathy Malpass of Evergreen 87-84–171
104. Colorado Golf Hall of Famer Christie Austin of Denver 83-89–172
110. Colorado Golf Hall of Famer Janet Moore of Centennial 85-88–173
123. Sandra Bickel of La Porte 93-85–178
125. Lisa Lee of Longmont 90-90–180
130. Sue Davis of Aurora 99-95–194
For all the scores from the Senior Women’s Am, CLICK HERE.